Sunday, May 6, 2007

Every Day Is Like Sunday


Well, not every day is like Sunday and I'm glad, because Sundays tend to give me the blues. It has been this way for me as long as I can remember. When I was in gradeschool, I would be blue because the weekend was over and I had to go to school the next day. When I entered the work force, Sundays made me anxious because I had to return to work the following day. I usually enjoy myself during the day on a Sunday, but in the back of my mind I dread the quiet of my apartment in the evening and the ritual of picking out my outfit for Monday. Don't get me wrong, I like my job (and there was a time that I had to work on the weekend) but to me, the weekend is a mini-vacation and it is always difficult to return to the work routine after a vacation. I never go to bed early enough on a Sunday night because I want the weekend to last as long as possible (I guess that is why I am blogging at midnight). My weekends are usually quite full socially, so Sunday evenings can be a bit lonely for me as I return to my apartment and tend to my domestic tasks. Luckily the cats follow me from room to room and keep me company.

Maybe the "blues" really stands for:

Being a
Little
Unhappy
Every
Sunday

I have met many people that feel the same way about this day. On the website www.postsecret.com, the postcards are updated every Sunday. I believe that they post on this day because many people feel lonely on Sundays and the postcards reassure the readers that they are not alone in their fear or anxiety.

I compare how Sundays make me feel to how my mom once described the feeling of an empty house. My mom once said that when the whole family comes to visit, it is always difficult when everyone leaves at the same time and you are left alone in a quiet house. That is exactly what Sunday means to me.

2 comments:

flowerchild said...

wow this was not a very uplifting blog remember if it wasn't for sunday there would be no rest of the week

Cherry said...

I know, but that is how Sundays make me feel. Once Monday rolls around I'm usually fine and easily settle back into my routine.